Another Summer Demo

I’m looking forward to the upcoming Moon Lake Threshing Bee on August 20 & 21st. It’s very enjoyable demonstrating how to use a treadle sewing machine for those who attend and make their way to our building. The threshing Bee is a great place to experience a bit of history in Turtle Lake, Wisconsin.

More Info about the Moon Lake Threshing Bee

Hexgons

This is my current project. I’ve been working on it over the last couple of years (yes you read that right) while doing the summer demos. 

Due to my sewing studio being under remodeling and working a full-time job the only time I’ve been sewing recently is during the summer demos I do. 

Finally got all the strips sewn together and this will be the layout, with a slight modification – the top will be placed at the bottom so I have rounded edges. More to come!

Off To Pioneer Village Museum!

This weekend I have the exciting privilege to be demonstrating my treadles and hand cranks at a local museum for their Heritage Days festival! I have done this each year for about a decade and it is a lot of fun. If you are in the area and would like to attend here is the website: Pioneer Village Museum for information. They will have all sorts of “living history” folks there doing the crafts and things from the old pioneer days of Wisconsin. They have over 20 buildings and many of them are old originals that have been moved onto the property. So much history to experience! If you can visit you won’t regret it 🙂

Demonstrating at the museum 2013

Demonstrating at the museum 2013

You Don’t Have to be Mechanically Inclined.

Today I was finally squeezing in some time for working on my scrappy hexagon block quilt. I opened a machine I hadn’t used in awhile, my Domestic ~ boy she really sews like a dream.

image

As I was sewing the strips together my pitman fell off! If you don’t know what a pitman is on a treadle, it’s the rod that connects the foot pedal to the large flywheel underneath the machine. No pitman, no sewing.

image

There was 1 nut on the floor but to my surprise both nuts were missing. The top part of the pittman wasn’t going to fall off because the “skirt catcher” (fancy metal semicircular part that kept ladies skirts from becoming caught in the wheel) was in the way, but there was a lot of play in it. I took the bolt to my husband’s work area.
Unfortunately the old bolts have a different threading pattern and do not work with new nuts. Sitting there on his bench was a black plastic wire nut that fit perfectly.  Upon trying it on the top part of the pitman, it was too long to fit in the space. I didnt want to use it at the bottom because that part takes a lot of torque when treadling. I got the bright idea to cut it in half, partly with the hacksaw and partly wih snips, and…whalla, it works.
Feeling accomplished and now back to sewing 😀

Sunday Afternoon Project

Today after arriving home from church and our monthly Souper Sunday lunch (can you guess what they serve?) I didn’t really feel like working on an existing project but wanted to “make something.” You know, a small project you can finish in a few hours and be done, feel accomplished.
I found what I was looking for and got started. I was able to use 2 fabrics I bought with some of my favorite items printed on but didn’t know what to do with. I made my first Reversible Bag. I think it will be the first of many. 🙂

image

Books, books, books!

image

Antique sewing machines

Books and antique sewing machines! I found the pattern online here http://verypurpleperson.com/2010/04/making-reversible-bag/
Fun and easy.

Free Motion Treadle

A number of years ago I came upon a Singer 31-15 at a garage sale. This machine is industrial size and was used in dressmaker factories with a motor that was able to stitch 2200 stitches per minute. Since all I had and used were treadles, that motor had to go.  I found the parts I needed and excitedly converted it to a treadle. Because it is an industrial size machine the arm on it is extra long so it has more room to fit a quilt under it while quilting.

image

I was, however, having some trouble with the tension after awhile. I finally figured out that the bobbin casing tension screw would back out on its own and the tension would be really messed up. Now that I know that I can check and tighten it each time I change a bobbin. I wanted to tear my hair out about it before I finally realized what was happening.
Nice even stitches again 🙂

image

image